At North Point Church, we strive to give generously toward the cause of the Gospel.
And while we should give generously, our giving always flows as a result of our relationship with God, not a way to earn it. We don’t give in order to gain God’s love, but we give because we’ve been loved. We are given grace through faith, therefore we graciously give in faith. We don’t even give in order to be given double or triple in return (at least not on this side of Christ’s return). We give freely with no expectations other than to see God glorified.
New Testament giving is
- willing and cheerful (2 Corinthians 9:7),
- a regular pattern of life (1 Corinthians 16:2),
- proportionate to one’s ability (2 Corinthians 8:3),
- generous (2 Corinthians 8:2–3; 1 Timothy 6:18), and
- sacrificial (Mark 12:42–44; Acts 4:32; 2 Corinthians 8:3).
How much you should give is a personal conviction to lay before God. Pray for wisdom, study his word, and act in faith as God leads you by his Spirit and in the fellowship of the local church. The message to the materially rich may be, “To whom much was given, of him much will be required” (Luke 12:48). And to the materially poor, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness” (2 Corinthians 12:9).